Wednesday, June 08, 2022

Emergency Prayers

 

Emergency Prayer Call (EPC) - Billye Brim Ministries

 

Spread across a book cover

Was the title: EMERGENCY PRAYERS,

Instantly it caught my attention

And caused me to drop my cares.

 

At first it was quite impressive

And I feasted on the thought,

But my feast was only temporary

As deeper meaning I sought.

 

I began to think of emergencies

Of different sorts and kinds

And in my mind, I wondered

About the matter of time.

 

I could not read the book

But I wondered about the prayers,

How would they address

A sudden threat or fear?

 

In most emergency cases

There is not lot of time,

Help is needed instantaneously

To get one out of the bind.

 

It is like a drowning man

And there is no help in sight,

How much time does he have to pray

When he is in such a plight?

 

I would like to think

Such prayers would be very brief

For the victim would be expecting

Instantaneous relief.

 

Like the apostle Peter

When on water he walked to Christ,

As he began to sink in the briny deep

Just three words did suffice.

 

Lord Save Me - Family Radio 316

 

“Lord, save me!” he shouted,

And the Master heard his cry,

Immediately, he was in Jesus’ arms,

It was not his time to die.

 

There is another emergency prayer

That for me is quite adaptive,

A four-letter word, just one syllable long

In emergencies is quite effective.

personal-alert-systems-help-speech-bubble-510px  

"Help!" has become a familiar shout

Whenever we are in distress

And when that shout is made to God

It is praying at its best.

 

It’s not about the words we say

Or the quantity of time we spend,

No such luxury in an emergency

That’s telling us it’s the end.

 

But the cry of a sincere heart

That’s in a desperate need of help,

Three short words or even one

Is just how Peter felt.

 

A book of emergency prayers

Could not be very thick

For whatever the nature of emergency,

That prayer would have to be quick.

 

With time at one’s disposal

The urgency is reduced,

If there is time to pray and fast

That’s almost like a truce.

 

A book of emergency prayers

Sounds really, really good,

But to use the book at that urgent time,

I wonder if anyone would.

 

Stewart Russell © April 2020

 

No comments:

Post a Comment