Sunday, June 20, 2021

Peculiar Peculiarities of A Peculiar People

 

Titus 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all  iniquity, and purify to himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

 

 

It’s quite a mouthful for a topic

A rather alliterative theme,

No doubt you are trying to discern

Whether I am up to some scheme.

 

I am sorry to disappoint you

I have no scheme in mind,

It’s just that the topic struck me

At this particular time.

 

I thought I would write a poem

Using that alliterative line

And seeing I was at the computer

I thought now was a good time.

 

The peculiar peculiarities

I am sure that sounds strange

And then to add a peculiar people

They must be pretty deranged.

 

But like I have stated before

There’s no such scheme in my mind

But I shall write about a people

And they are of a special kind.

 

Follow me to the word of God

Where a word is found seven times,

That particular word is peculiar

Keep it foremost in your mind.

 

Almost every time peculiar is used

It is in reference to God’s people,

Only once you will find an exception

You can check the Bible.

 

Four times in the Old Testament

It is in reference to Israel,

But the two times in the New Testament

It identifies a different people.

 

Here are some peculiar peculiarities

Of this peculiar people,

Turn to the books of Titus and 1st Peter

I trust you are near your Bible.

 

Titus 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all  iniquity, and purify to himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

  

First turn to Titus 2 verse 14

And you will find three peculiarities,

I shall list them in the next verse

Go there and find all three.

 

Redeemed from all iniquity

And purified unto Christ Jesus

A peculiar people

Who, in good works, are zealous.

 

A reading of 1st Peter 2:9 and 10

Should reveal another six

About a people who was so estranged

That only God could fix.

 

A chosen generation, a royal priesthood

A holy nation, a peculiar people,

Once in darkness but now of the light,

God’s own people: He being merciful.

 

To be continued

 

Stewart Russell © March 2019

 

Can you really believe this?

It is May 31st, 2021,

Since I started writing this poem

More than two years have gone.

 

Back then I wrote to be continued

But I never got back,

This is now my longest poem;

In terms of time, that is a fact.

 

That is another peculiarity

But certainly, one we can overlook,

It is about the poem

Rather than the people God took.

 

So, let’s conclude this matter

We began two years ago,

There is something mighty important

That I want you to know.

 

These are the people of God

That have been washed in the blood,

The blood of the crucified one:

Only Jesus could.

 

Twitter पर The Alliance: "Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of  which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of  God, which he bought with

 

Acts 20:28

 

This is the church of God

“Purchased with his own blood”,

The Bible says it in this fashion

And we also should.

 

God was in Christ Jesus

Reconciling the world to Himself

Thus, to walk in his peculiar calling

Is the believer’s wealth.

 

“In the world but not of the world”

But light and salt they are:

A peculiar people as unto the LORD

And not by this world marred.

 

Titus 2:13-14

 

Looking for that blessed hope,

And the glorious appearing

Of the great God

And our Saviour Jesus Christ;

 

Who gave himself for us,

That he might redeem us from all iniquity,

And purify unto himself a peculiar people,

Zealous of good works.

 

Stewart Russell © May 31, 2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment