Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Hi Granny

 

Vintage Snapshots: The Streets of London in the 50s, 60s and 70s | Curbside  Classic

 

I am writing this letter slow

Since I know you can’t read fast,

I am here in England; it’s cold

But I am having a blast.

 

I haven’t gone to school yet

Because I don’t know where to find one,

Everything gets lost up here

In that I am not alone.

 

We saw the sun the other day

Up here it’s a UFO,

They had forgotten what it looked like

Since it doesn’t often show.

 

I experienced a little mishap

With the washing machine,

Having thrown in my shirt and pants

That’s the last of them I’ve seen.

 

I put in my shirt

And then I pulled on the chain,

I did the same with my pants

And I never saw them again.

 

Taking a bath is quite challenging

Because it is much too cold

So back to washing my face and hands

Just like in the days of old.

 

I boarded a bus just yesterday

And had to sit at the back,

As soon as I entered the driver said

The back is for the blacks.

 

The front seats apparently

Were all made for the white

And a black doesn’t get to sit in one

Whether it is morning, noon or night.

 

One would have thought that all that stuff

Had gone out with the flood,

Our complexion might be different

But we have the same colour blood.

 

Jesse Owens - JAMMIN' 101.5


I was watching Jessie Owens

When I was writing this poem,

Once you were born black

That was a crime back then.

 

But one black man by name of Jesse

Stood up against all Germany,

Four gold medals he won

They were dumbfounded at his ability.

 

Ability knows no colour

Ability knows no creed,

Jessie showed the whole world that

When they saw his superior speed.

 

But Granny

How did I get here?

I mean writing about all this,

Let me get back to my experiences

Even though I will shorten the list.

 

Tomorrow I will go out

And look for the school again,

Today I was looking for a black school

But down came the rain.

 

Everyone knows a bajan disappears

As soon as it begins to rain,

A fire we will run to if there is one

But rain for us is like pain.

 

I probably won’t find one

Since there are all painted white,

To find a black school around this place

You would have to search at night.

 

Perhaps I will change my mind

And look for work instead

But right now Granny, I’m feeling tired

And will soon be in my bed.

 

There’re not many whites around

The dwellings where I am,

Something tells me quite clearly

That this is a deliberate plan.

 

Just before I go off to sleep

I must tell you something more,

Please don’t be mad at me, Granny

Granny, please do not be sore.

 

Old 5 pound note | British money, Bank of england, Bank notes


I had meant to send to you

A crisp five-pound note

But when I remembered to put it in

I had already sealed the envelope.

 

I hope you will forgive me, Granny

I will remember the next time,

So until I write to you again

Love from you grandson, Glyne.

 

Stewart Russell © July 2018

 

No comments:

Post a Comment