Monday, March 15, 2021

After this Pen Is Gone

 

7 Dreadful Fountain Pen Issues And Tricks On Fixing Them

 

Neither fame nor popularity

Is the reason why I write

But I write because I am pressed to

By my God-given insight.

 

I take no credit for this poetic gift

I would be fool to even try,

That God is the one that prompts me

I would never dare deny.

 

You may question the humour

In poems that bring a chuckle,

Is God also involved in those writings

When I appear to be fickle?

 

I would say a resounding yes

That God is no less involved,

Even our moments of fun and laughter

Should around Him revolve.

 

Below the surface of humour

There is often a serious thought

It would do us well to contemplate

Especially when we are distraught.

 

The Bible stands as the supreme constitution for all mankind - The San  Diego Union-Tribune

 

So, whether the biblical offerings,

The heavy stuff or the light,

Poetry writing is my God-given ministry

And in it I gratefully delight.

 

I was told by a spiritual father

I would have an international ministry,

I could have almost laughed

This having been back in the 80’s.

 

Then I was preaching and teaching

Across our local denominations

But the idea of an international ministry

Was way beyond my comprehension.

 

For at that time there was no Internet,

The PC was a very new tool

And many of us even as teachers

Did not find this very cool.

 

RM Nimbus Network RMNET Demonstration - YouTube

 

However, into the mid-nineties

All of this would change

And with my posting at an EDUTECH school,

It became less strange.

 

God was working it out

And certainly not based on my merit

For outside of Him

In us there is absolutely no credit.

 

So, I make no boast of my writing

For I have absolutely no grounds,

To give you the impression I am that good

Should bring not a smile but a frown.

 

It’s neither for fame nor popularity

That motivates this pen to write

But God that dwells within my being-

It’s in His will I delight.

 

I no doubt will leave a legacy

And for that I give God thanks

But regarding fame or popularity?

On none of these do I bank.

100 Barbados dollars note (Grantley Adams Airport) - Exchange yours

 

I have often heard the suggestion,

That I could make some money

But that I totally disregard

Since regarding merit I haven’t any.

 

I write as I feel God leading,

That’s the best way I can put it

And if at any time it has helped someone,

To God be all the credit.

 

I take none for myself

For in a sense I am only the pen

And one of these days this ink will run out

Though that will not be the end.

 

7 Dreadful Fountain Pen Issues And Tricks On Fixing Them

 

The traces of God in these poems

Will continue and far beyond…

Long after this pen has dried out…

Yes! Long after this pen is gone.

 

Stewart Russell © March 13, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment