Friday, August 14, 2020

The Altar Call


Church History - www.carringtons-wesleyan.com 
I remember while growing up
There was the altar call,
It is not as prominent these days
To my mind it has taken a fall.

At the end of the message
There would be an invitational song,
Back then they were very ardent
And that invitation would be long.

It would begin with the preacher
Followed by the song leader
And if that were not enough,
A plea would be made by the pastor.

Older members would leave their seats
And would go and grab a youth
And would march him up to the altar,
Trust me, I am telling the truth.

It was like the only way to be saved
Was by kneeling at the altar rail,
Not at home by your bedside,
That and all other places would fail.

How a Life Was Changed at the 1957 Billy Graham Crusade in New York
  
Fashioned after Billy Graham
That prolific evangelist,
You did not want to leave the church
And that invitation opportunity miss.

At the altar were all types:
The frightened ones and the emotional,
The forced ones and the imitators
Even the I don’t know why people.

I once heard a pastor say,
Be careful what you say down here.
Everybody is not coming for what you think
So, when you open your mouth, beware!

Billy Graham's Altar Calls Were More Than Moments of Decision | CT ...
A word to the wise is sufficient
I will leave you to ruminate on that,
All kinds of people would go to the altar
But salvation was not always the fact.

Whether all were saved I could not tell,
That is way outside of my purview,
An individual would have to tell for himself
Hence, I could not know for you.

What I do know that I can tell
Is that true salvation is evidentiary,
For once the Holy Spirit indwells a heart
A changed life is the reality.

The altar at which the sacrifice occurs
Is the altar of one’s heart,
That’s where the penitent dies to sin,
That is where salvation starts.

The Cross is the Only place God can meet man. | Oração, Adoração ...

It’s not the rail at the front of a church
Or even kneeling beneath a cross
But the sincere cry from a sinner’s heart
That recognizes he is lost.

He could be anywhere, as a matter of fact,
When by the Spirit he is arrested,
That for him is his altar call
And the offer in which many have invested.

A poem or song on the Internet
Could be the means of your altar call,
I would suggest, should this happen to you,
Positively respond, no longer stall.

Right there you can find the Saviour,
The Shepherd who is calling to you,
Right then you can find sweet communion
I have found it and so can you.

Stewart Russell © April 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment