Sunday, November 10, 2019

A Horrible Little Creature




Image result for images for a centipede

In the middle of the night
After feeling a bite
I jumped up with fright
And turned on the light.

Underneath the top sheet
And close to my feet,
My eyes did meet
A creature long and neat.

I began to see red
As it crawled across my bed
And with a feeling of dread
I kill it dead! dead!

Related image

My wife was a brave heart
With her paper bin art,
Its first death was her part...
Boy, wasn’t she smart?

Image result for images for a shoe

I quickly got a shoe
A lot they can do,
Death number two
Was done by a shoe.

Now for the name
Of the source of my pain,
The villain in this game
Was of forty-leg fame.

It did not bleed
But it showed great speed,
The victim of our deed
Was a centipede.

Image result for images for a centipede

It disrupted my night
When it gave me that bite,
So I was within my right
To end its flight.

Related image

A slice of onion
Was applied to the location,
And this took quick action
To extract the venom.

Contrary to my belief
It brought quick relief
But all sleep still ceased
 On account of that thief.

With all that said
I am now back in bed,
Though that demon is dead
It is still in my head.

I can’t even yawn
All sleep has gone,
I am the only one
And it is almost dawn.

Image result for images for a centipede

That segmented pest
Interrupted my night’s rest
And in our little contest
Came off second best.

When there’s rain
They come out to cause pain,
On ledges or in drains
They will drive you insane.

In my bed
Centipede dead!
Still in my head
Enough said!

So I wrote this poem
To highlight the problem,
Centipedes by the dozen...
O how I hate them!

Stewart Russell © November 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment