Monday, November 25, 2019

My Wish for Barbados




Restoring community spirit - Barbados Today


Just a short while ago
We were celebrating Yuletide,
It was the month of December
And the temperature was mild.

 Christmas was gone in a flash
And resolutions were being made
With the hope, I would imagine
That one or two would prevail.

Now in the month of November
Fast approaching Independence Day,
Time really flies, it is true,
We cannot help but say.

It was tied to having fun
But as I see it, no longer so,
It appears, at least to me
It is now on rapid go!

Sometimes I get the feeling
We are hurtling towards something,
I just trust it’s something good,
I mean, something worth enjoying.

This year has had its share
Of things quite horrifying,
Particularly the first three months
With a number of our youth dying.

Image result for images for guns and knives

The gun was partly responsible
And so too was the knife,
I long for a day to come
When there will be no more strife.

I wonder if it is possible
It can happen in my time
But I would surely like a Barbados
Full of people who are kind.

Like in earlier times
In our booming tourist industry
When the tourists themselves spoke
Of our vibrant hospitality.

It appears then, we understood
What tourism meant to us
And we did everything possible
To be a people they could trust.

We had our sea and sun
Just like we still have today
But we also had a people
Who understood the bajan way.

O that we could return
Not necessarily to the past
But to the attitudes and behaviors
When Barbados was simply class.

To the community spirit
That we are trying so hard to revive
That in a past, not so long ago
It just naturally survived.

A time when drugs were unheard of
And community spirit was strong
A block was under a streetlamp
And not for planning wrong.

Image result for images of barbadians looking for one another

But for passing on information
About the olden days
And teaching those who gathered
About the proven bajan way.

The attitude of sharing
And looking out for one another,
O, that we could return to this
And get rid of the present bother.

With progress has come a price
That really would not have been
If we had maintained the attitude
Of that earlier bajan scene.

As this year hurtles on
To its inevitable end,
I wish that we would return
To those attributes, my friend.

Stewart Russell © November 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment