Sunday, November 17, 2019

Relishing the Absurd



Image result for images for the absurd

“Up the creek without a paddle”
A saying you must have heard,
Like in the midst of life’s huge ocean
Being guided by the absurd.

“The Emperor’s new clothes” is another:
Stark naked but fully dressed,
It’s what I want so don’t you bother
I am not having any stress.

It is sanity and madness
Profanity mixed with gladness,
Why should my pursuit of euphoria
Cause you such grief and sadness?

All for me and I for me
It’s what I want that matters,
There are all of you but one of me
And all that matters is the latter.

Image result for images for up the creek without a paddle

Up the creek without a paddle
Now fast approaching the fall,
For a while back there it wasn’t so bad
Now nobody answers my call.

Amidst the tumult of the rapids
My raft rocking to and fro,
About to be jettisoned any moment now
Experiencing the “I told you so”.

I did not listen, just like the world
I saw it my own way too,
The fall approaches and I am doomed
In spite of all that I knew.

Warning after warning came my way
But the pleasure was such a balm,
Up the creek without a paddle
But everything appeared to be calm.

Image result for images for a moral compass

No compass or guide except the urge
To please me and only me,
Around me, the entire world revolved,
Surely everybody could see.

Who needs a paddle when all is well?
Who needs an oar or governor?
Not me at that time but surely now!
Now I am facing such horror.

Acceptance of death instead of life
Was the choice of our fore-parents,
The gift of life is on offer again
But the majority refuses to repent.

We are not very bright; it clearly shows
The lessons of life we do not learn,
We will make it without God above
And His grace we will continue to spurn

Image result for images for up the creek without a paddle

So, we are up a creek without a paddle
And we feel all is well and good,
We have no idea of the approaching fall
For we are not seeing as we should.

Charmed by the glitter that grabs our gaze
The unreal obscures the real
And, severely distracted by Satan’s ploy,
Unheeded goes the Spirit’s appeal.

A little bit more till I have had my fill
To be saturated being my intent,
Just a little bit more while I have time
When I have had enough, I will repent.

Up the creek without a paddle
May have been the issue in the past,
But now being tossed in the foamy rapids
Speaks to a far more humongous task.

The state of our world is so similar
As men seek to satisfy their urge
And with every passing day, we note,
Enormous societal ills emerge.

Image result for images for a peacock's feather

Packaged in a so-called golden wrap
To bamboozle the least suspecting,
Exchanging the peacock for the feather
Refusing life and death accepting.

Stewart Russell © September 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment