Monday, November 04, 2019

To Fix a Broken Scale




Image result for images for a broken scale

One day I got to thinking
And my thoughts made me livid,
Yes, I know I said I was thinking
But what I thought seemed so vivid.

In my thoughts, I saw a scale
And on that scale, there were some items,
The items were all to one side
Every single one of them.

As could be expected
The scale was down to that side,
These things were heavy without doubt
So I was not surprised.

Related image

My scale was terribly lopsided
But at first, I did not mind
Until I got to thinking…
This was thinking of the spiritual kind.

But then suddenly a single item
Was placed on the opposite side
And would you believe me?
Those things went on an upward ride.

I thought, how could a single item
Outweigh a world of others?
And it seemed so insignificant
To me, that was the bother.

Related image

On one side there was wealth
Also fame and popularity,
Add to that, great possessions
And loads and loads of money.

Perhaps the scale wasn’t working
Or I was being deluded,
What a strange phenomenon
Into my thoughts had intruded!

I looked again and there it was
Just as I had seen before,
It had to be illusory,
It certainly was nothing more.
  
All these tangible things I saw
Were to one end of the scale
But when matched to the single one
All these items had failed.

I wondered and I wondered
How could this really be?
What I saw didn’t make any sense
Must be something I didn’t see.

Then in my thoughts, I saw a heart
Well, more like a human soul,
A longing there for something more
After having achieved its goal.

The scale that was really broken
Was inside my very own soul,
I possessed much with more to spare
Yet I was not feeling whole.

Related image

I was weighted heavily down
With all the world’s trinkets,
The gold, the wealth and fame
But my broken soul they couldn’t fix.

Further down I could not go,
I had now reached rock bottom,
I looked up the scale to the other end
And that’s when I felt so rotten.

I had fed my soul on worldly husks
And such is never soul food,
I was still starved as starved could be
I had to make a move.

Image result for images for God's Love


There was one item that I needed
That would far outweigh all these,
It was the wonderful love of God
That would rid me of my disease.

My scale had long stopped working
My priorities were all mixed up
And though I had the world’s goods
Mine was a bitter cup.

I remembered King Solomon’s words
All is vanity and vexation of spirit
Hence, my scale so gravely top heavy
Had issued me with an edit.

Image result for images for a broken scale

Get right! Get right! It said to me
Fix your broken scale,
The values thereon are way off mark
You are doomed to fail.

With the correct item at the other end
All those things were jettisoned,
Love controls my scale and now I know
I have a balanced position.

The balance of payment in this life
Cannot be treated to with wealth,
Only the wonderful love of Jesus
Can turn around our spiritual health

One’s scale is seriously broken
Until God’s love is taken on board,
One only gains the right perspective
By studying the Holy Word.

I am thankful for God’s intervention
My scale is working better,
There’s room for improvement though
But that’s another matter.

Stewart Russell © June 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment