Saturday, February 02, 2019

Absent from the Body





I have an appointment with death
That is if Jesus my Lord should tarry
But whether I die or whether I live
It is to him I will be surely married.

As a member of his Bride, the Church
I am one of the precious redeemed,
Born again and cleansed from my sin
By Jesus I am very highly esteemed.

A lamb of his flock, a sheep of his fold
I have been on his shoulder laid,
A sinner redeemed by his precious blood
The ultimate price for me he paid.


One day I will die if he should tarry
And a funeral service will be planned,
Several will be there in attendance
But they will not see this man.

You can call it a boycott if you will
But I have no plans to be there,
I will not be interred in any stuffy grave
So my friends of that be aware.

No, I’m no different from anyone else
But I dare to believe God’s word,
At death I will be absent from my body
And only my body will be interred.


While we are at home in the body
We are absent from the Lord,
Check out 2 Corinthians 5 and verse 6
Read it for yourself in God’s Word.

It therefore logically follows
That in death we have left our body,
Something goes to be with the Lord
Since it’s only the body that’s buried.

Let’s look again at 2 Corinthians 5
And I draw your attention to verse 8,
Absent from the body present with the Lord
This cannot be a mistake.

I may not fully understand this
But there are conclusions I can make,
We leave our body, that’s clear to me
At death some kind of flight we take.


We are absent from the body
The Apostle Paul makes that very clear,
Hence I will not be at my funeral
So do not look for me there.

It will be my body there reposing
It will not be me, I must add,
At the instance of death I will have left
It’s your problem if you think I am mad.

Surely I will be absent from my body
And therefore present with the Lord,
But what all of that really entails
I am not so sure from the Word.

I would like to leave this in my will:
No long funeral service please desist,
In any case I will not be there
So please grant me my request.


Stewart Russell © January 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment