Wednesday, February 06, 2019

Wonderfully Blessed





Today I am wonderfully blessed
I have commenced my sixty-sixth year,
Going to funerals is my past time
But none has been mine; that’s clear.

I give God thanks today
For letting me live this long,
Many have gone the way of the earth
But I am still around.

A few have been family members
Some have been great friends,
Some have been contemporaries
They all have met their end.

Their lives have left a mark on me
In many, many ways
I thank God for their influence
And I praise Him every day.



I thank Him for health and strength
And all the blessings He gives,
I shall not take my time for granted
However long I live.


I draw on the words of the Psalmist
For this particular occasion,
“So teach me to number my days
That I may apply my heart to wisdom.”

My health thus far God has ensured
I give Him thanks and praise,
And as long as He lends me breath
My voice for Him I will raise.

I know not the length of my time
Or how much longer my sojourn
But my goal is to please my Saviour
Each and every awaking morn.


I give him thanks for my B.A.
“Born Again” is what I mean,
Far surpassing all of my achievements
This certainly is the cream.

One death I’ll probably experience
But two births are already mine,
The second by far is the more important
That is the spiritual kind.

I cannot remember the exact day
Though I can for my natural birth
But I know I am a dual citizen
Of heaven and of this earth.


Born of water and of the Spirit
I am a child of God
And on this my sixty-sixth birthday
I am spreading that news abroad.

I am not ashamed of the new birth
For it ensures I will never die
And I will have a home with Jesus
Be it on the earth or in the sky.

Stewart Russell (c) February 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment