Thursday, January 11, 2018

The Old New Year


Image result for images of the four seasons

How many months I ask
Before I name a New Year old?
Or is it the days instead
When mornings are not cold?

Has one noted, for example
The month or the day
When the greeting has gone
Of “A Happy New Year”?

I’ve given it some thought
And after January it’s done,
After 31 days, one single month
The year is old and into rerun.

Now how did I come by that?
What is it that clinched it for me?
What about the new resolves?
They appear forgotten by February.

Image result for images for February

The old habits have returned
I’m not sure they’d ever stopped
And the old practices we knew
Once more become our props.

I suppose it is the difficulty
Of adjusting to the new,
The old nature is still present
But that is just my view.

You may disagree with me
And I have no problem with that,
My view is just my view
And it need not be a fact.

Perhaps you may suggest March
The third month of the year
When we deal with income tax
For some that is hard to bear.

For by April the first
The tax forms must be in
For a few more then
The humdrum will begin.

Image result for images of all fools' day

Maybe some will go for April
Though that’s stretching it a bit,
On the first I won’t believe you
All Fool’s Day is just a trick.

In May there is nothing left
The New Year has gone for sure,
You may or may not agree
But the New Year is no more.

By now you see what I mean
We are into the month of June
And with it the hurricane season
June has come too soon.

It’s almost the halfway point
The New Year surely is now old,
Through July, August and September
We must do as we are told.

Our ears are glued to the radio
To the TV, Internet and cellphone,
Our eyes are focused on the east
In this we are not alone.

Image result for images of the end of the new year

October, November, December
Another year is quickly through
Back to the point we began at
A Happy New year to you!


Stewart Russell © January 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment