Friday, September 29, 2017

Eve’s Regret



Image result for Genesis 3:13

It was the most beautiful garden
 You had ever seen
My husband was the king
And I was the queen

I remember the day
I set my eyes on him
Back there was no lust
No hatred no sin

I recall God coming down
In the cool of the day
He would just commune with us
Even then that was His way

Those were lovely times
But O how I regret!
The folly I did then
A simple term I reject

It was not the “you can”
That was my trial
It was the simple “don’t”
That was used by Belial

He or it or whatever
Was in the garden too
He was smart and knew a lot
That I had wished I knew

Back to the garden though
Before I talk about him
Before meeting him
I hadn’t known sin

This garden was immaculate
Everything was clean
No garbage or litter
Was ever there seen

The trees were lovely
A tremendous variety
And the fruit on their limbs
Were divinely tasty

There was a particular tree
It was right in the middle
It was the tree of life
Sounds like a riddle

If only we had eaten
Of that tree instead
We would be alive all like now
Nobody would be dead

But that wasn’t the way
How things turned out
I believed Satan
And God did doubt

There was not much to do
But enjoy the scene
Everything was so pristine
So absolutely serene

I was out one day
When I saw this creature
Its colours were varied
And he spoke like a preacher

He knew what God said
And even more
O he was confident
And very self-assured

And there he was
In this particular tree
It was a tree to be desired
He soon made me see

I was so impressed
By his silvery tongue
In no time at all
My defenses were down

We had conversations with God
But nothing like this
The way Satan projected
Why, this was bliss

Don’t get tied up
About the kind of fruit
That is not the point
Just an offshoot

God had said, “Don’t!”
But Belial had said, “Do!”
God’s word receded
Satan’s word filled my view

I was captured
By his alluring charm
Eating that fruit
Could do me no harm

Even before I tasted it
It was sweet to my lips
So why not take a bite
And enjoy a delicious sip

So that I did
And the rest is history
Before, there was heaven
Now hell is a reality

Everything changed
In my mind it did
From that moment
Both Adam and I hid

Before there was no fear
We felt so strong
Now there was weakness
And a sense of wrong

Before all was good
Now there was evil
Yes, blame Adam and me
For the plight of all people

O how I regret
Having made that choice
Stopping by Satan
And heeding his voice

O how I regret
Having made that misstep
And a simple “don’t”
I decidedly reject

There were so many “cans”
And they all disappeared
That “don’t” was all that mattered
About all I cared

Satan’s word was a lure
God’s word is the truth
I was Satan’s fish
Now you have the proof

I shouldn’t have listened
But I did
And ever since that time
From God man has hid

But there is hope
Thank God for Christ
Who in the fullness of time
Made that sacrifice

Image result for The cross at Calvary

For my sin and yours
On Calvary’s cross
We sold you out
But Jesus paid the cost

To redeem you and me
From the curse of sin
Praise be to Jesus
How I thank God for him!

Stewart Russell © September 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment