Friday, June 17, 2016

“Watch That Tongue!”



Who's The Boss? - Hamlins LLP London
 
“Boss, I have something to share with you.”

Image result for images for Proverbs 21:23Mr. Bascombe sat in his boss’ office eager to share his exciting news.  He had worked for the Carter’s cleaning establishment for thirteen years.  Cleaning was not his only duty but during those years he had developed the unenviable talent of informing on the other workers.

“What information do you have for me this time?” his boss inquired.

“I know that you have been very impressed with your new employee, Mr. Simpson.  However, I picked up some news about him recently that really caused my head to spin.  If I were you, I would dismiss that man.  If he continues to work here he will only bring this firm into disrepute.”

“Come on man!” shouted Mr. Carter. “What is it that you have to tell me?  Stop beating around the bush and get straight to the point.  I do not have time for games.”
 
“All right, all right, I’ll get to the point.  I have reason to believe that Mr. Simpson is involved in the peddling of drugs.  He has been communicating with known drug pushers as well as addicts.”

“Oh, is that so?” asked Mr. Carter with a look of incredulity on his face. 

“Yes!” stated Mr. Bascombe emphatically.

“All right,” said Mr. Carter, “I’ll look into it.”

“How do you mean you will look into it?  Don’t you believe me?  I have been with this firm from its inception and you are still in doubt about my credibility?” inquired Mr. Bascombe.

“No, I do not doubt you but I believe one should check one’s facts before one acts on information received.  Well, that’s all for now.”

Mr. Bascombe left the office and returned to his duties as senior supervisor in the cleaning firm.  He was disliked very much by the employees because he had caused several of their co-workers to be fired especially in cases where the boss was impressed with their performance.  Mr. Simpson’s case was similar and he expected to continue his line of successes in placing persons on the list of the unemployed.  Rather than using his tongue to build up, he took joy in using that instrument to pull down and destroy others.

There was a knock on the office door.  “Come in,” called out Mr. Carter.  Mr. Simpson looked around the door and greeted his employer with, “Good morning, Sir.  Mr. Bascombe informed me that you wanted to see me.”

“Yes,” replied Mr. Carter.  “Please sit down.”  He said this in a very stiff manner causing some anxiety to Mr. Simpson.  “Mr. Simpson, when I took you on as a cleaner, I took into consideration three things.  You were in desperate need of a job since you had received no income for four months.  You were therefore unable to adequately take care of the needs of your wife and five children and thirdly you proudly declared to me that you were a Christian.  I believed you then.  However, I have received information that has made me very angry.  Mr. Bascombe has informed me that you have been communicating with known drug pushers and addicts.   Now I have no time, money or energy to waste on such persons, so quickly tell me whether this accusation is true or not.”

“It is true,” replied Mr. Simpson.  There was an uncomfortable silence in the office.  It was as if everything had come to a standstill. 

“Well,” replied Mr. Carter, “There remains nothing for me to say other than to let you know that you are fired, effective immediately.”

“But Sir . . .”

“But Sir, nothing!  Please leave my office.”

“I can explain,” reasoned Mr. Simpson.

“Oh you can?  Try me!” said Mr. Carter with a note of disgust.

“I was witnessing to them of the love of Jesus Christ.  One of them has actually changed and is living a clean life now.  He is your very newest employee.”

“Is that so?  But why didn’t you tell me?  Anyway, do not worry about it.  You have made me a very happy man.  You have renewed my confidence in you.  I have another man to fire.  How would you like to be my new supervisor?”

Stewart Russell © 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment