Saturday, December 26, 2015

Promised, Paid and Pardoned


Image result for images of sin's debt

I once had a debt I could not pay
A situation in which I had no say-
Who could I trust to save the day?
I wondered if any could help me find a way.

I trusted many who promised to pay,
They sounded sincere and so on them I lay,
They simply led to despair and dismay;
The debt remained and I further strayed.

I looked for alternate ways to pay
That could clear my debt without delay
And though they held very prominent sway
My life just assumed darker shades of gray.

Then I found a way that was sure to pay
It was a process somewhat like a relay,
Though many were involved not one would stay
The length of my ordeal and save the day.

I concluded that none would pay
This huge debt that stood in my way;
My so-called helpers wanted me to waylay
All their effort was just a pretentious display.

After finding no one that could pay
I desperately cried from my heart one day
Only to discover that the devil’s tray
Was exactly what was obstructing my way.

Full of strategies and schemes to pay,
Money back guarantees my fears to allay,
Promising a debt free life and a brighter day
If only I would give him absolute sway.

At my lowest ebb I espied who did pay,
For me he walked up the Calvary way-
It was Jesus who came that first Christmas day
Confirmed by the angels’ spectacular display.

The manger was proof of the promise to pay,
The cross would set the enemy in disarray,
Resurrection morn all my fears allay,
Promised, Paid and Pardoned! Thank God I can say.

I have found him whom God sent to pay
And now in my life he holds absolute sway,
Hallelujah to Jesus, the life, the truth and the way-
I no longer have a debt that I have to pay.

Stewart Russell © 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment