Friday, December 04, 2015

A Wreck on Life’s Highway



Image result for images for Proverbs 14:12

I was motoring down life’s highway
At quite a crazy clip
Negotiating some difficult turns
Not even caring about a slip.

Oh, I was a fantastic driver
With quite a bit of skill
And knowing just how great I was
There was no chance of a spill.

In my early years there was challenge
With quite a few in the home,
So many mouths to feed
No television, no piped water or phone.

At primary school I was avoided
As though I were the plague,
At secondary school I buckled down
And those memories became somewhat vague.

I did really well at school
Though I never came first in tests,
But whenever the scores came back
I was always among the best.

University was not as easy
But I adjusted to the task
And when I graduated,
My achievements were all first class.

On leaving school I landed a job
That paid a good salary,
That was the beginning of the trend
That changed my reality.

I really began to enjoy life
And motored towards my dream,
I left that initial poverty
Way back in my slipstream.

Out of the turns and into the straights
I motored on with ease
Steadily increasing my speed
Enjoying the rush of the breeze.

Image result for images for Proverbs 14:12
  
The rough time I had growing up
Was a far and distant memory,
The thrill I now enjoyed
Was a thing of rarest beauty.

My family I had left behind,
So were the church and Sunday school,
That kind of controlled life
Was for the poor and wretched fool.

I was fast into my groove,
This was what I had dreamed about,
Dollars flittering through my hand
And carrying a lot of clout.

Then I was really somebody,
I was held in great respect,
I was well to do and held my own,
My past was my only regret.

In the circle where I moved
Were the persons that were rich,
They were born into wealth galore
And never fell into the ditch.

They often boasted of their past,
Their present and future were secure,
I had to put up with their lengthy boast,
To me my past was a bore.

Occasionally I would hear or read
Of the passing of a relative
But that would filter through my mind
Like the proverbial sieve.

I had no time for such,
Sometimes I would send a card
But to attend, no way!
Those memories were already quite hard.

I really wanted to forget
My horrid growing-up past
Even though among my company
I did not belong in their class.

They merely tolerated me
For what I could do for them,
The jobs that they could never do
It was I they would always send.

They had the wealth but not the brains,
I was the lawyer in the group
But to maintain my membership
To their every request I would stoop.

To me that was a small price to pay
For the reputation that I enjoyed,
Where they went I was also seen
I was one of their envoys.

Money… there was more than just enough,
Friends in high places… more than a few,
Dignitaries, celebrities, the rich and famous,
All persons that everyone wished he knew.

These were all known to me,
They were at my fingertips,
I was having the time of my life
Just being with them on their trips.

Image result for images for Proverbs 14:12
What a drive as I motored along!
What a scintillating experience!
Compared to the struggle that I once endured
This was a desirable variance.

As the dizzying results reached my head
My foot responded in kind,
To the floorboard I pressed life’s pedal
And enjoyed the passage of time.

I took an extreme delight
In many a poor man’s plight,
The fact of the matter really was,
His nighttime was my glowing light.

As he suffered I prospered,
His discomfort added to my gain,
His representation was to my benefit
Even though it caused his pain.

I was my superiors’ puppet
But the poor was under my control,
And every one that I deceived
Took me closer to my goal.

To be rich and wealthy was my aim,
Nothing else could satisfy,
Whatever it cost to stake my claim
Nothing or no one dare deny.

I may be a puppet on their string
But I also had a plan,
At some point along the way
I would play the ace in my hand.

I should have slowed to take that curve
Instead my foot had remained flat,
I showed what I thought had been an ace
But it was the joker of the pack.

My journey came to a grinding halt,
My car would not respond,
I cranked the engine again and again
But there was not a sound.

I looked around for my support,
None of them was around,
They had set me up for this hard fall
Now I was prison bound.

Image result for images for Proverbs 14:12

I was smart but they were smarter,
At the time I could not see,
What they had I really wanted,
I did not care what it would cost me.

And as I hurtled down life’s highway
My ace was from their deck,
Too late I realized I had been fooled
Now I am a total wreck.

A wreck along life’s highway,
Another wreck by the side of life’s road,
Intoxicated by avarice and greed,
I ignored the highway’s code.

Lying on my back on my prison bed
My view my prison cell ceiling,
A lifetime incarcerated here
And not a hope after appealing.

Freedom is a precious gem
And liberty a pearl of great price,
The love of money is snow on life’s road
And avarice is like black ice.

My driving days are over,
My license has been revoked,
My friends are rollicking with laughter,
I am the butt of their joke.

Time after time I pinch myself
To stir me from this dream,
But then I hear the clang of a gate
Or hear a prisoner scream.

O how I wish with all my might
I could turn back the hands of my clock,
If only at best to my early past
That’s far better than this prison block.

If you are young and being care free
Don’t drive, rather I advise, take a trek,
It’s a better way to travel along life’s road
And avoid becoming one of life’s wrecks.


Stewart Russell © 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment