Monday, December 28, 2015

After the Rush




Image result for images for Christmas spending

After the Christmas rush the sanity will return
And the realization that much money was burned,
God’s glorious salvation they continued to spurn,
Another Christmas gone but the lessons still not learned

Obsessed with the need to fix up the house,
A temporary commitment to children and spouse
And now all these things do not seem that important
Since Christmas has passed the inside feels vacant.

Tell me, what was that I just did there?
All of this stuff bought and I am still feeling bare,
Seems so irrelevant since Christmas day has gone
The New Year beckons and with it the coming storm.

Weaker for the effort that was expended for one day,
Short-lived satisfaction not worth what was paid,
Missing the true meaning of the Christmas season,
Once again not recognizing that Christ is the reason.

Wondering how I will make January’s payment
On the electrical appliances and the China cabinet,
The food that was bought and gormandized up in a flash
Not certain which went the faster, the food or the cash.

And all of this hullaballoo for just a two day bash
On a slippery precipice and behaviour that was rash,
After all the rushing around there is now nothing inside,
All of the money gone and lasting happiness denied.

Instead, a peculiar feeling and a growing melancholy,
Fixed up house now empty after the departed company,
The lights on the tree unable to brighten my mood
And acute indigestion from ingesting too much food.

 Image result for images for being broke

The thing that is puzzling, yes very puzzling to me
Is every year I keep falling for this spending spree,
Chronic addition to this rush to rid me of money
Somewhat like a competition; don’t laugh it’s not funny.

Anyway I’ll still look around and try to find some cash,
There might be just enough for the Old Year’s bash,
I know in the New Year there’ll be a great backlash
But I’ll go right to where I have the mortgage money stashed.

So it’s time to get involved in one final rush,
I know right after this I will feel like I’m crushed
But I aim to be happy regardless of what it costs
Even if this happiness is temporary and after that all is lost.


Stewart Russell © 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment