Tuesday, February 07, 2023

Please Be More Talkative

 

Roseville Home For The Elderly (Bridgetown, Barbados) - Contact Phone,  Address

 

Some say I talk too much,

Too much for my good

But I came across a recent note

Advising at my age I should.

 

You see, I am a senior citizen

And it is important that I talk

And I don’t intend to let anyone

Bring my talking to a halt.

 

So senior citizens be more talkative

And I will stress, “Please!”

Talking is very beneficial to us

And it brings much ease.

 

It is natural for seniors to talk,

After all, they have much to say,

And they deserve to be heard

The more in their later years.

 

They have worked very hard

And they have given us very much

So, why should they be confined

To being dummies now as such?

 

Therefore, let us talk all we want

Whether we make sense or not,

You don’t know what you will become,

We don’t choose our lot.

 

All Physicians are Doctors — But Not All Doctors are Physicians – The DCA  Page

 

And besides, doctors say it’s good,

That it brings us many benefits

So, having reached my seventieth,

I will not break this habit.

 

In fact, I will talk even more,

And I will lucidly express myself,

I will not be putting my mouthpiece

On any forgotten shelf.

 

Talking activates our brain

And enhances our memory,

It releases the burdensome stress

In the absence of agility.

 

It activates our facial muscles

And makes us look younger longer

And even if we are not, in reality,

It makes us feel much stronger.

 

Talking exercises our throat

And increases our lung capacity,

It staves off the dreaded Alzheimer’s

Once known as senility.

 



So, let the old people talk

And that includes yours truly,

It makes for good quality old age

Before we are dead and buried.

 

Isn’t it any wonder

The ones that are usually gagged?

The very young and the old

Are the ones that are flagged.

 

In the former

Their brains are accelerating

While in the latter

Our minds are degenerating.

 

Both are considered as risks,

They may say the wrong thing

So, stop them in their prattling tracks

Before they begin to sing.

 

Roseville Home For The Elderly (Bridgetown, Barbados) - Contact Phone,  Address

 

So, my dear senior citizens,

Please be more talkative

For in so doing, doctors assure us,

Old age would be less oppressive.

 

Stewart Russell © January 29, 2023

 

No comments:

Post a Comment