Wednesday, December 16, 2020

My Favourite Time of Year

 

 

COVID or no COVID

This is my favourite time,

COVID-19 might be in the air

But Christmas is on my mind.

 

From the 1st of December

I look forward to Christmas,

My only regret being

That it goes so fast.

 

This year it is a little slow

And that I can understand,

COVID-19 is causing problems

On every side and hand.

 

Some have lost their jobs,

Tourism going through horrors

And some who are still working

Now have reduced hours.

 

A delay in putting up lights,

Not as many displays

But I am hoping for an upsurge

Over the next few days.

  

Last year, because of an injury,

Christmas was downplayed

But this year is a different matter,

That will happen no way.

 


I have already put in the patio

Hundreds of lights

And I can tell you for a fact

Out there is pretty bright.

 

The wife and I feel good

We have been able to do that,

It takes away some of COVID’s sting

And for us that is a fact.

  

Christmas is my favourite time

It brings out the child in me,

I must confess that the older I get

I am still filled with glee.

 

  

I believe that is a good thing

Since it keeps me feeling young

And I intend to enjoy Christmas

For as long as I am around.

 

Some things have changed

 I cannot help but admit

But regarding my love for Christmas

That has not changed a bit.

 

I may not be moving

With the same speed as before

But for an obvious reason

I am enjoying Christmas even more.

 

What used to be distractions

Are no longer distractions for me,

For as such distractions wane

The more of Christ I see.

 

Maybe not so much as a babe

In a manger stall,

But as the Saviour of the world

That died for all.


From a manger to the Cross - Adrian Cost [Lyric Music Video] - YouTube

 

From the manger to the cross

Yes, he was born to die,

“It is finished,” he shouted,

I still hear his victory cry.

 

He died that I might live

And arose because he is life

And my Christmas is truly complete

Because of his sacrifice.

 

COVID may affect the externals

But it can’t touch my inside

For I am Christ’s temple

In which he eternally resides.

 

Christmas means more to me

Much more than before

And this is why as I grow older

I enjoy Christmas even more.

 

Guernsey Lock down restrictions: phased resumption of business activity -  Channel Eye

 

It’s my favourite time of year

Even in spite of COVID

Simply because of what occurred

In the City of David.

 

More than 2000 years ago

In that little town of Bethlehem,

Jesus came that first Christmas

To deal with our sin problem.

 

COVID need not distress you

At this Christmas time

If the Christ of that first Christmas

Is transforming your mind.

 

A mere bump in the road

Is all that COVID will be

Simply because the Christ of Christmas

Is the Christmas I see.

 

Stewart Russell © December 12, 2020

 

No comments:

Post a Comment