Monday, December 23, 2019

My Late Great Mother-In-Law


 
I marvel at these portraits
Of a woman whose life I shared,
Not as her husband or children
But as an in-law she held dear.

I feel particularly honoured
To have been accorded such a treat
And in the words of her late husband,
She was wonderfully sweet.
 


I came on these portraits today
While on her daughter's Facebook page,
She too has gone to the great beyond
At a relatively early age.

She has left many family photos
Like the one that heads this poem,
Occasionally I visit her page
And take a memory trip through them. 

The memories they left are lasting
Though still tinged with a little pain,
But what is the use of sunshine
If there is never any rain?
 


This poem was not in the plan
But it came rather spontaneously
As I reminisced over those photos
Compliments of Pearl's photo Gallery.

It is not usual I post twice in a day
But I had to do it today
Just to honour a great mother-in-law
And to say thanks in this way.

Stewart Russell (c) December 23, 2019  

No comments:

Post a Comment