Tuesday, December 17, 2019

My Christmas Gifts to Jesus






I set out on a journey
I knew not where,
Of one thing I was sure, though,
I would know when I got there.

Among the things I carried
Was one parcel of gold,
“Take it along,” I was prompted
For a king that was foretold.

It was a very long journey
But I remained steadfast,
A star, would you believe it?
Was my day and night focus.



After two years of travel
I closed in on my quest,
For the place of his birth, I believed,
A palace would be best.

With me was another traveller
Whom I met on the way,
He had also started on his journey
Exactly two years to the day.

His parcel was frankincense
But not for a king,
He was taking it for a priest
As he was instructed to bring.

There was a third traveller
That had come from afar,
Like us, he had set on this journey
And was also led by a star.

He too had a story to tell
And we listened intently to him
But what he said to us then
Really threw us in a spin.

 
A king, I understood,
Hence the significance of my gold,
Incense for a priest
On that too I was sold.
  
But when he showed us the myrrh
He was making no sense,
Certainly not in the same light
As our gold and incense.

This child that was born a king
Was also a priest,
But one day, as the myrrh indicated,
He would become deceased.



We had a hard time convincing
The king of our search,
It even became worse
When he consulted his experts.

After we left his palace
I understand he became enraged
And sought to kill all male babies
Younger, or two years of age.

As I listened to that traveller
Who gave the baby Jesus gold,
The reason for the first Christmas
Clearly began to unfold.

Those travellers brought gifts
For God’s gift to the world,
The gift of His only Son
That from the beginning is the Word.



God gave to us Himself:
That is what I have discerned,
Hence, the question on our mind should be
What can I give to Him in return?

I can give him gold
Since he is already the King,
And I have a precedent for it
That is what a wise man did bring.

I can give him frankincense
But he is already the High Priest
And myrrh won’t make any sense
Since he is no longer deceased.

O, I know what I would do
From this Christmas and on
For I am very clear in my mind
Just how I should respond.



I would give him my life
Which for me represents my gold,
And my sincerest devotion
Would be the frankincense I hold.

My myrrh would certainly be
My daily dying to sin,
And all of this I assure you
Would be my Christmas gifts to Him.

Stewart Russell © December 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment