Tuesday, December 04, 2018

Granny at Christmas Time Part 1





Uh eat me last two conkies
And then me burp
Uh wash them down
Wid a pint glass of syrup

Uh went to de kitchen
And me wash out de glass
Uh was real excited
Christmas was coming fast

Uh here in me eighties
And uh still getting excited
When it come to Christmas
I does still be delighted

I does mek plans for it too
Doan mek no sport
I doan have much teet’
But uh still like me pork


I got a special plate
I does tek down from early
And I does put it dey
To hold de turkey

Dis plate real large
I en shame to tell you
And I got a nice pyrex dish
That uh does keep fuh de stew

Wunnah asking ‘bout ham?
Wuh I does got dat too
Nuh Christmas widout ham
Dah is still my view

Dese days uh just drinking plus
And sometimes ginger ale
Not dem eflorescent drinks
At my age dem fail


I doan eat much carbohydrates
But de vegetables uh like
Brockley, carrots and beans
Dem is still my delight
  
Partically now uh getting old
I does tink ‘bout me healf
And uh en doing nuttin foolish
Cause uh live at meself

Uh see you set up yuh face
Like yuh sufferin’ wid shock
Uh en in nuh nursing home
And uh en leffing dis spot

Old is in de nineties
And I en quite dey yet
So as far as I am concern
I still wid de young set

I got a nice frock dey
Dah is fuh Christmas morning
I must be sitting in de front
When de morning dawning

And uh pray dat said morning
De old pastor gine preach
He old and forgetful
But he does still preach sweet


I like to hear ‘bout de nativity
‘Bout Jesus coming to earth
And just in case wunna forget
Jesus had a birth

De Bible tell me
That he did born in Bethlehem
Some tink it foolish
But I does still tell dem

I feel so good dis morning
At muh getting old age
Dat muh head still good
And uh could turn to de page

Right in St Luke chapter 2
De Bible tell me
Evuhting ‘bout de baby Jesus
And de nativity

He was born in a stable
Duh wasn’t nuh room in de inn
Just like many hearts today
Nuh room pun account of sin

Nuh time fuh Jesus
Nuh room in dem hearts
But I praise God for de chance
When I did mek a new start

I am partically sure
‘Bout all that Christmas mean
And pun Christmas morning
Does refresh that scene


So I must get to church
And I must be at de front
I must hear dat old preacher
On de nativity account

After dat any number can play
As long as it Christian-like
I will go in Queens Park
And enjoy de sights

Uh gine stop here now
Cause uh getting old
Uh hope uh could come back
‘Cause there’s more to be told

Uh gine try to get back in
But in case uh doan get back
Focus on de nativity scene
And you’ll be right on track

Stewart Russell © December 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment