Thursday, December 06, 2018

Smoke Screens and Mirrors






A myriad questions
With no forthcoming answers,
Queries aplenty
And a whole lot of banter.

Nothing reliable
Or even remotely dependable,
Just living from day to day
Dreading the foreseeable.

Truth receding light disappearing
The way further is obscured,
Holding on to uncertainty
We’re abandoning the assured.


Exchanging the proven
For the fleeting stubble and hay,
Embarking on more frivolity
Each and every passing day.

Trusting the temporal
As though it were eternal
And forging a unity
Re: the normal and abnormal.

Nothing is absolute
Hence everything is relative,
For every pain or problem
There is generic sedative.

It doesn’t solve anything
But it is certainly soothing
And for a little while longer
I can still be grooving.

A swaggering show of courage
A mere pretense for sure
Exchanging context for pretext
Nothing less nothing more.


Like the biblical character
That built a house upon the sand
Knowing there was no rock
But still expecting it to stand.
  
For we are not really blind
To the reality of our day
But perhaps if we close our eyes
It will probably go away.

For what we see is there
But what we do not see is not
Hence the reality that we ignore
Is consigned to our blind spot.

It may exist for you
But it definitely doesn’t for me,
I don’t see the way you do
I form my own reality.


“Smoke screens and mirrors”
Has become the way of life
I think it’s just a feather
But you believe it is a knife

It would probably cut you
Me? I would just be tickled,
So while you think you’re normal
I really think you’re fickle.

So anything can be true
Once enough people believe it
And if they believe it long enough
It would probably stick.

Be careful what you pretend
It may become your reality,
Blame it on Hollywood I say
And also the University.

For the brighter we get
The dumber we are becoming
And God is being relegated
To the foolish that is living.


Number me in that group
That believe God’s Word is True,
Foolish I may appear to be
But I see much better than you.

For I see things as they are
And not as I want them to be,
The other way is blindness
That’s a person that cannot see.

Jesus can open blind eyes
One day he opened mine,
If you do not have this experience
I would think now is the time.

Stewart Russell © September 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment