Wednesday, March 08, 2023

A Dream

 

 

I was practicing cricket skills

When I awoke particularly stiff,

Stiff neck and shoulders and knees

And stiff around my midriff.

 

I was practicing fielding skills:

Catching and fielding the ball

And I was lithe and covering ground

Was what I can recall.

 

Bustling with energy

And catching extremely well,

Although preferring the right hand

All was still swell.

 

Receiving much applause

From all those looking on,

I was performing impressively

As in days long gone.

 

I could not believe it

Though it did not feel like a dream,

Old legs were young again

It was a totally different scene.

 

Actually, I was visiting a school

As my job required me to do

And seeing the fellows on the field,

I decided to join them too.

 

The ball flew to me in the air

And I took off a spectacular catch

But later dropped one to my left

Which was not my right hand’s match.

 

It was so very surreal

As the ball kept coming to me

And I became the central attraction,

Very much to my glee.

 

In the midst of my enjoyment

I woke up from my dream,

I was so jolted back to this reality

I could have screamed.

 

And as if that were not enough,

I was actually feeling stiff,

Still feeling so, as a matter of fact,

Especially around my midriff.

 

 

Rutgers Connection Network Faculty Mentoring Program | Rutgers University  Equity and Inclusion

 

 

And don’t you dare tell me

That I must be still dreaming

For you very well know, as I also do,

I am at present typing.

 

Stewart Russell © March 8, 2023

 

No comments:

Post a Comment