Wednesday, August 28, 2019

My “D U I”



Driving under the influence?
No, nothing like that, rather,
Discomfort, unease, inconvenience,
Let me tell you the facts.

Discomfort, unease, inconvenience,
This is my “D U I”
 And, if you had my experience
You would probably cry.

You may want to argue
That these three are synonyms
But the subtle shades of meaning
Is what I shall be highlighting.

In terms of cause and effect
Each comes out of the other,
This I observed just recently
When dealing with a matter.


It was one that I created
Since I was feeling rather fit
And while running up some steps
I inadvertently slipped.

It was a horrible experience
One I will never forget
But there were consolations too,
Not all of it was regret.

At first I could not stand
My foot wouldn’t bear my weight,
I thought it had been broken…
O what an awful state!

Fortunately, it was not so
But the pain was quite intense,
Then, a minor slip…
And now a major offense.

So by now you surely know
The cause of my “D U I”,
I should have walked instead run
You must have heard me sigh.

  
Now there is acute discomfort
Walking has become a struggle,
And this is only just one-third
Of my overall trouble.

One-third is the unease
In achieving the simple things,
Those everyday normal practices
That our daily living brings.

One-third is the inconvenience
 Of heavily depending on others,
Inconveniencing those around me
Only makes me a bother,

Discomfort, unease, inconvenience,
Not driving under the influence,
This is the “D U I” of mine
That threatens to make me a nuisance.

Stewart Russell (c) August 2019




No comments:

Post a Comment