Sunday, August 18, 2019

Aspirants and Aspirins






He’s at the top
I’m just halfway there,
I’ll probably never make it
And that’s my fear.

He was halfway up
When I started out
But moving at his rate?
That’s not what I’m about.

The top is mine
It was promised to me,
I was born to lead
Any blind man can see.

For too long now
I have been led,
He’s in my position
I must be at the head.

I need to move now
And quicken up my rate
Or I won’t make it,
What a terrible fate!


Just middle management
Are you kidding me?
By the end of this year
The top is where I’ll be.

But so short a period
In which to achieve,
So many in between
That will likely impede.

Twenty years it took
To be where I am now
But in a year’s time
I’ll be at the top somehow.

It’s not about the salary
Well, not that alone
But I like the importance
Of being in that zone.
  
I like the accolades they get
And I see how they strut
And besides all that
I’ve been too long in this rut.


Middle management
 For these last five years!
It is time to move on
I must change gear.

Full speed ahead!
Get out of my way!
I am coming for the top
I don’t care who is there.

All of this aspiration
It’s giving me a headache,
I’d better take an aspirin
Or I might be “the late”.

A word to the wise
And to the foolish too,
At times there appears no difference
Between these two.

Better take your time
And pay your dues,
Focus on the next level
Even with the top in view.


There are enough headaches
Between this and the next,
An aspirin may not work
Especially when you’re vexed.

Your time will come
If you wait your turn,
Impatience is like a match
It can really burn.

Aspiration is all right
And it is very necessary too
But too many aspirins
And we could be burying you.

Stewart Russell © February 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment