Sunday, July 28, 2019

The Mountaintop





Finally at the summit
I surveyed the beauty around me,
It was so much different up here
From down in the valley

I had struggled up the mount
But it was surely worth it,
Now I could see for miles and miles
And it boosted my spirit.

It reminded me of life
And the many uphill climbs,
The temptation to throw in the towel
And the many declines.


The hazardous and the precipitous
The grind and the pain,
The frights and anxieties
The days of effort and little gain.

My friends tried to discourage
And my foes relentlessly taunted
But an inner voice whispered,
“Never mind, do not be daunted.”

That’s when I took a deep breath
And with greater resolve
I ignored the demeaning negatives
And all my members involved.

Even before I had started out
I was told that I would fail
And that given my many weaknesses
My efforts would not avail.

Many stronger had attempted
But they did not succeed
And it would be in my best interest
If their advice I would heed.

Had I given into their attempts
I would never have started
But I knew anything worth achieving
Was not for the faint-hearted.

  
I am so glad that I insisted
And as one of the climbers enlisted
And all those naysayers resisted
And from deep within me persisted.

I was not the first to the top
And my time was not the quickest
But I rejoice in my triumph
Even though I was not the fittest.

In any case, I had some help
I do not mean of the earthly type
But from a friend, I truly know,
A friend that is always right.

And so as I stand at the top today
I know they will be other climbs,
They all will start from some valley
Where few things appear to be fine.

Where one’s view is nearsighted
And one’s grasp is very weak
And the taunting and the teasing
Makes the outlook particularly bleak.

Where the forecast is stormy
And the mood is quite downcast,
And where even the fittest of climbers
Will undoubtedly not last.


Unlike the strong, I need help
So in that category I will enlist
And such help is always forthcoming
From Him who will always assist.

The weak are perfect candidates
In whom God’s strength will work,
It’s then His strength is made perfect
And there is no urge to shirk.

So come on whatever the climb
With God, I am up to it,
For as a weakling I trust in God
And this is my daily habit.

If today your challenge is a climb
And difficulties are all around,
Remember it is on the mountaintop
Where the beauty will abound.

No such beauty will be yours
If in the valley you decidedly remain,
But if you resolutely climb with God
That mountaintop you will claim.

Stewart Russell © March 2019


1 comment:

  1. The Truth For Times Like These! Well Said! Should Be Required Reading For All The Brethren! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete