Thursday, July 04, 2019

From Puzzle to Picture




There were hundreds of pieces
Of varying size
But no picture to guide me,
That I truly despised.

How was I to fix this puzzle?
This was not even practical,
At least show me a picture
And that would be reasonable.

“There are guidelines there,”
An inner voice assured,
“The diversity of the pieces:
That is your open door.

If they were all alike
Would that have helped?”
Of course not I responded
And at least better I felt.

Of course I was having a chat
With that voice within me
And I dare say to all
That was no sign of insanity.


In my relaxed frame of mind
I searched for the corners
Then put the border together
To frame the picture.

Then I saw eyes and noses
A hairline then two
And then faces were formed
I found my working crew.

From puzzle to picture
It was beginning to form:
A community of working people
Just like the everyday norm.


The nurse and the police
The postman and the cleaner,
These and other community workers
Were all there in my picture.
  
There were children too
And mothers with infants in arms
And going about their daily business
Added to the overall charm.

The puzzle was almost complete
Just a dozen more pieces or so
From puzzle to picture, O yes!
With no picture at first to show.

Quite daunting at the beginning
Most satisfying in the end,
Like the challenges we face in life
And the daily effort we expend.

Nothing is more satisfying
Than a puzzle we have unraveled,
Particularly when at the beginning
It was truly a daunting puzzle.


The pieces were so out of place
As though they all were wrong
But when I got the workers together
I saw where each piece belonged.

If all our workers get together
And play their individual roles
Our puzzle would become a picture,
There would be no gaping holes.

Don’t hanker after another’s role
With yours do the best you can
Be a piece the puzzle can’t do without
Be a part of the master plan!

Stewart Russell © March 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment