Thursday, June 13, 2019

Better than the Worst






Said the man with no feet
To the man with no shoes,
“I’d rather have your problem
Than have mine,” he mused.

Said the homeless man
To the disgruntled homeowner,
“You have a roof above your head,
I am still awaiting a donor.”

Said the pedestrian to the motorist,
“How dare you fret
When the traffic is heavy?
Don’t you see I’m getting wet?

Are you having a migraine?
It’s because you have a head,
Charles the first lost his
And guess what!  He is dead.

Said the frog to the boys,
“What’s fun for you is death to me.”
Said the blind to the bespectacled,
“Even with glasses I still won’t see.”


Said the incarcerated to the free
“You think you are in prison
Yet you go and come as you please,
Would you care to exchange problems?”


Said the old lady to the young,
“As you are I have been
But it’s taking you a shorter time
To get to my scene.”

“The child is the father of the man”
That can also hold for old age
But when they become old together
Then age is not a stage.

Said the child to the orphan,
“My parents are much too strict.”
Said the orphan to the child,
“Tell me when you are ready to switch.”
  
Said the mistress to the servant,
“Good help is hard to come by.”
Said the servant to the mistress,
“You are so right,” and then sighed.

“Choosing a dress to wear,” one said,
“Can be such a headache.”
“No such problem, “ said another
“Until my one is dry, I’ll wait.”

“If that child would just shut up
I could have some sleep.”
“Tell that to her dead mother
If she and you ever meet.

“My money’s not enough,” said a man
“I am out of money,” said another
“I don’t have a job,” said a third
Compared to invalidity the others are better.


Whatever your present situation
Somebody else is worse,
Being better than the worst person
Says that you are not the worst.

You are between where you were
And where you want to get,
Hence you are better than the worst
For you haven’t reached the worst yet.

Stewart Russell © February 2019



No comments:

Post a Comment