Thursday, November 16, 2017

Spare a Thought



Image result for images for youthful beggar

I watched him steadily
Yet I was out of his view
I could see him but he saw me not
Perhaps he would do otherwise if he knew

I was watching curiously
To see what he would do next
As the people passed him by
 You could see they were vex

He approached everyone
I could not hear him speak
But from their reaction
He was forced to retreat

He appeared to be begging
I guess for something to eat
But nobody trusted him
Not even the slightest treat

Progressively I grew sad
At what I was seeing
As it dawned the more on me
That he was a human being

Just like you and I are
And all of these passers-by
Yes, he was a human being
Just like and I

There go you and I
But for the grace of God
This youth was in the clutches
Of the despicable fraud

Yes I refer to the devil
Lucifer, a.k.a. Satan
The one who was out to destroy
From the time the world began

Here was this youth
Entirely bamboozled by him
And so very unaware
That his problem was really sin

I watched yet another passer-by
As he deftly sidestepped
As though he was accustomed
And thus adequately prepped

Everyone refused him
But not once did he stop
He was more than determined
As from one to another he hopped

O yes he was limping
But this was no deterrent
The fact that he used it cleverly
To me was quite apparent

This was not the first time
I had actually sat and observed
For I had daily reason
To be right here on this curb

Actually I was there to watch
People and their behavior
And to come up with a strategy
To tell them about the Saviour

Image result for images for passers-by

But they were so terribly busy
I wondered if I could achieve
Just a little bit of their attention
To show them how to believe

And while there observing
My eyes were glued to this youngster
Who in every respect
These passers-by treated as a monster

There-in lies the peril
That confronts our very society
Like that youth many are lost
And to be lost for eternity

Like him the Saviour pleads
For us to come to know him
But like these many passers-by
We make light of our awful sin

Like that beggarly youth
We are despicable and in need
But unaware of the Saviour’s love
Who cares about us indeed

Here was this youthful beggar
With matted hair and unkempt
Maybe asking for a little money
To buy the drugs on which he was bent

But more importantly
It then occurred to me
That here was a damned soul
For whom Christ went to Calvary

It was for the unwell he died
Yes the wretched and the sick
The drug addict and the murderer
The con man that is so slick

These are not the only ones
Commuting on their way to hell
But also some who go to church
Every time they hear a church bell

Image result for images for sitting in a church pew

Sitting in the church pew
Feeling all smug and warm
Just like them we mentioned earlier
They too should be warned

That the bottom line really is
The Saviour’s blood applied
For without it there is no salvation
However hard they have tried

Acknowledging our sin is the start
And repenting of the same
Asking God’s pardon for our wrong
And believing in Jesus’ name

Thanking God for such salvation
And stepping out in righteousness
Eyes ever set on the eternal prize
And bearing fruit unto godliness

No difference between the tramp and me
If neither God’s salvation knows
Having not the seal of God
On the way to hell each goes

Stewart Russell © October 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment