Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Confused and Bemused




Image result for images for confused and bemused

I woke up or so I thought
For I might still have been asleep
Whether up or down I couldn’t tell
So I neither walked nor ‘creep’

I neither stayed nor moved
Transfixed on my bed betwixt
Between deep sleep and wide awake
I was surely in a fix

How long there I couldn’t tell
Probably exactly an hour or two
It was less than one and more than two
Before my reverie was through

Up I looked to see what was down
And outside to view what was in
Next I laughed till I almost cried
Be serious; I am not joking

Image result for images of flying fish

The clouds sailed on the ocean blue
The waves high up in the sky
Fish were birds; the birds were fish
And this reality I couldn’t deny

I knew I was not sleeping
For after all, I knew
Were I asleep I would not know
That false could never be true

Awake in a dream you would argue
And then laugh and go your way
Smart psychiatrist you think you are
But you’ll have yours some day

What a fool you really are
But you think that you are smart
You are no smarter than the next fool
So keep that deep within your heart

Image result for Images for an upside down world

You and I live in an upside down world
Where abnormal is the new norm
What you and I knew to be wrong
Is now packaged as the more informed
  
Two of the same can cohabit
It’s neither here nor there
It’s just a matter of preference
And once the two really care

Absolutes have diminished
And some believe there are none
And what used to be a tragedy
Is now generating fun

Image result for images of an upside down world

Some say up side down yes
But this time right side up
They awoke or so they thought
But ours is a bitter cup

But now there is preferred taste
And the awful has become sweet
A confused and bemused mind
Knows neither victory nor defeat

Zombies too come awake
But they are neither here nor there
They too know not where they are
Nor from whence they did appear

Whether up or down they cannot tell
Themselves they cannot feel
But they are feared among the wisest of men
And those who believe they are real

Image result for images for strange looking

Do you still feel that I am weird?
And you are different from me?
I’ll tell you this; better mark my word
And you’ll see just what I see

This world is steep in follow pattern
Sense is not critical you see
Once an important person says it
Prominent it will be

Soon the world absorbs it
The exception is just a few
And what we once held as acceptable
Is now contrary to our view

Before I should conclude this, though
To that state I shall return
Not that I had left you would concur
Nothing appears real or firm

I woke up or so I thought
For I might still have been asleep
Whether up or down I couldn’t tell
So I did neither walk nor creep

Image result for images for the delusions

I couldn’t walk; no confidence had I
I didn’t creep for fear of the unknown
My narrow confines was a tiny bed
That was the limit of my zone

Up I looked to see what was down
To me they were one and the same
And so I laughed until I cried
For I was one among the insane

The world around is a hospital
Full of the mentally deranged
So smart we feel in our condition
That we hail it as paradigm change

I know I have mashed some corns
But my toes also feel the rub
If you feel the offense as much as I do
Then welcome to the club

Stewart Russell © 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment