Thursday, July 21, 2016

The Prodigal that Roamed & the Prodigal at Home Part 1



A Crucial Lesson from the Brother of the Prodigal Son | Meridian Magazine
Image result for Images Of the prodigal and his brother

“Hi son, what is troubling you?”
“Why Father, I thought you knew,
We have this discussion all the time
It is time you give me what is mine.”

“Are you sure you’re ready for this?
Have you considered what you will miss?”
“Look Father, I have made up my mind,
I will not let you dissuade me another time.

I have attained unto that legal age
To have my own, I’ve reached that stage,
So Father, before I get into a rage
Please let me out of your restraining cage.”

“Son, a few more years would be perfect
Then I am sure you will have little regret,
Now is not the time to take that step
Still a few things you haven’t learnt yet.”

“Father I am ready, I know that I am,
Why surely you can see that I am a man,
I have thought this over; I have a plan,
 Time to get from under your command.”

Strange enough it was the younger boy
That wanted no more of Father’s employ
But Father conceded to let him go
Even though there was much he did not know.

So off he went to a far away land
Feeling rather smug with money in his hand,
Far away from his father’s command
Saying to himself, “I am my own man.”

O he had a fling and a very grand time
Day after day and nightly to unwind,
Nothing like song, women and wine
And the most costly places in which to dine.

Yes, friends he had and not a few,
He spent quite a bit on this parasitic crew,
As long as he could keep on meeting the cost
They were willing to pretend he was the boss.

Nothing lasts forever; even money doesn’t,
What happened next was not too pleasant,
His money ran out and so too his friends
And so the good life came to an abrupt end.

For many it takes money to make a man
So think of a man with no money in hand…
But what else could go wrong with his plan?
Would you believe it?  A famine in the land…

A famine is bad enough with money to spend
But this young man’s money had come to its end,
So where could he turn to make ends meet?
He found himself at a pigsty retreat.

Image result for images of the prodigal son

He picked up a job simply feeding swine,
What a step down from women and wine!
Of the pigs’ lunch he would have eaten a share
But dared not in case the owner was near.

At his lowest he began to use his mind
This was not outback, this was out behind,
That’s where pigpens were, not a pleasant place
This Jewish son suffered quite a disgrace.

Whoever heard of Jews messing with pigs?
Or eating pig food: that can you dig?
But it was here that he came to his senses
And began to look at life through different lenses.

The servants at home had enough and to spare,
They didn’t worry about what to eat or wear,
His father looked after their every care
But here he was alone and in despair.

If I were Father’s servant I could make do,
As his hired servant I would surely get through,
Why stay here with these pigs and their mess?
As one of Father’s servants I won’t have this stress.

Then and there he decided on a course,
Planned a speech which he repeatedly rehearsed
Then he headed for home in the rags he wore,
A sorry picture dejected and footsore.
 
INFINITY NOW: A Strange Father and His Two Prodigal Sons

When yet a way off his father espied
Knowing his son by his gait and his stride,
Running to meet him he drew him to himself
In spite of his smell, his rags and poor health.

He never got the chance to give his speech,
Father was so happy to have him within reach,
He held a celebration that made the other son mad
But Father and his household were extremely glad.

Put a ring on his finger; outfit him with a robe,
Put shoes on his feet; we’re in celebration mode,
My son was lost but is back to say the least
Now kill the fatted calf and let’s have a feast.

In St. Luke chapter fifteen and verse seven
We read of similar rejoicing way up in heaven
Over a single sinner that ceases to roam
And at the Spirit's bidding returns to Father's home. 


Stewart Russell © 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment