Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Non-Anonymous

 

What are the benefits of thinking about your own death? | The Independent

 

You know my name

And I know yours,

When I come a calling

It’s a special chore.

 

I love what I do

Most often you do not

But at least, I am fair

I share an equal lot.

 

I cannot be bribed

I cannot be outfoxed,

I treat all alike

Be it the heights or blocks.

 

In palaces I’m at home

So too in the slums,

I catch up with people

Though I neither walk nor run.

 

I deal in turns

There’s none I overlook,

I am very specific

My list is my book. 


What are the benefits of thinking about your own death? | The Independent
 

I care not for laughter

And frowns don’t matter,

I disregard your silence

And also your chatter.

 

I’ve been given a task

And it is my delight

To work twenty-four-seven

Morning, noon and night.

 

I don’t care about you

Or your family tree,

Six feet in the ground

Is where I’d rather you be.

 

That is my purpose

And that is my intent,

Your demise, I mean

It’s on that I am bent. 


What are the benefits of thinking about your own death? | The Independent

 

I don’t care about science

Or your philosophy,

I just come a calling

And you must come with me.

 

Most people hate me

A few bid me welcome

But I really don’t care

When I come you’re done.

 

I am omnipresent

Yes, I am everywhere,

Omnipotent I am not

There’s someone I fear.

 

And until he returns

I will have my way

With saint and sinner

Each and every day.

 

I leave you with a warning

It’s the best I can do,

There is life after me

The Holy Bible is true.

 

There’s judgment coming

I advise, be prepared!

I am not the end

I trust you are aware.

 

What are the benefits of thinking about your own death? | The Independent

 

Like the way I began

I will end the same,

I know who you are

And you know me by name.

 

You are:………………………

 

And I am:………………..

 

By the way, it doesn’t matter

If you write your name,

Whether you do or don’t

To me it’s the same.

 

Stewart Russell © July 2019

 

No comments:

Post a Comment