Sunday, July 26, 2020

No Need to Wash My Feet




Jesus Teaches Humility at the Last Passover | Life of Jesus
Try to understand me, Master,
I cannot let you wash my feet
Considering where I have walked
Out there on the dirty streets.

My feet are dusty and dirty
I can wash them by myself,
You don’t have to stoop to wash them
And risk your fragile health.

I am strong and robust
And accustomed to the dust,
I could wash yours if you like
But as for mine, there’s no fuss.
Jesus Teaches Humility at the Last Passover | Life of Jesus
Deep down you must understand
I won’t be washing another’s,
Mine I will wash of course
But with theirs, I won’t be bothered.

How dare they expect of me
To ever stoop that low!
No way! I am telling you, Master,
But I have no doubt you know.

I will wash yours, Master,
And I will do so in a flash
But if I am forced to wash theirs,
There will surely be a clash.

What I don’t want for me
I certainly don’t want for them
And once we all understand this,
I do not expect a problem.
Jesus Teaches Humility at the Last Passover | Life of Jesus
This must have been the issue
That ran through Peter’s mind
When Jesus attempted to wash his feet
On that very first time.

The issue was not the feet
It was really about the heart
But quite a lot was wrong therein
So, the feet provided a start.

The heart is loaded with pride
The feet represent humility,
The bending or stooping is critical
To correct a heart that is haughty.

And the lower the degree of person
To whose feet we must attend,
The better the character building
As the lower we must bend.

Peter would gladly attend to Jesus
But not to the lowly sheep,
It was much too far to be bending
To wash another’s feet.

It took him a while to understand
The lesson Jesus was teaching,
It was never really about feet;
It was definitely more far reaching.

He tried to apply it to his body
He had not gotten it yet,
He felt it had to do with being clean
But the humility he didn’t get.

It would take a while longer
When Jesus gave that command:
Yes! It was about feeding the sheep
And ministering to the lambs.

Peter Preaches at Pentecost

On the day of Pentecost
It finally settled down on Peter
The servant-leader he was called to be
That day he was the preacher.

Stewart Russell © June 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment