Sunday, June 03, 2018

The Fork in the Road


When You See a Fork in the Road, Take It » PostPress
 
 
I had been walking for a while
When I came to a fork in the road,
I decided to stop for a rest
And temporarily jettisoned my load.

I was considering my two options
When I heard a distinct voice,
“I see you are pondering,” it said,
“Perhaps mulling over your choice”

I had not seen him at first
Maybe I was just too tired to see
For he stood not far away
And he appeared quite elderly.

His beard was unusually long
And I must add it was all white.
There was an ancient look to him
And he presented quite a sight.

He ambled over to me
With the greatest of ease,
For his age he moved rather well
Like a machine well greased.

“I have been here about for ages,”
He expressly said to me,
“I have seen many come and go
So there’s little I don’t know.

And you are one of the many
That I have seen at this spot,
I await your obvious question
And you know just what.”

I thought of his approach
As you see he was quite blunt,
He did not beat around the bush
He went straight to the point.

“I have come a long way,” I said,
“I have been walking for a while,
However, enquiring the way of others
Is normally not my style.

However, you look quite informed
So perhaps you might be aware
Which of the better of these two ways
I can proceed without much care.”

“Before I give you my answer
Let me tell you who I am,
Not that this really matters 
For I am just an ordinary man.

When You See a Fork in the Road, Take It » PostPress
 
Many have come to this fork
Adjoining this very road
And like you did they too
Temporarily disposed of their load.

Then they asked the question,
The same one I knew you would ask,
At the first I had no answer
But time has made easy my task.

At first when I could not answer
I said the way is up to you,
They took one and then the other
Each time returning with a view.

First they went to the left or right
Then returned after many days,
Dissatisfied with the way they took
Then turned and went the other way.

Not many days after that
They would return again confused
Then take the other way again
Dissatisfied with any way they choose.

I have learnt from their experiences
And have attempted none of the ways,
That’s why I am here at this point
Still undecided even up until today.

So if an answer you still require
I can give you a definite one today,
Take either left or right of this fork
And you’d wish you’d gone the other way.”

But what is definite about an answer
That does not determine the way?
It’s only a way that appears to be right

By which many a one is led astray.

Image result for image for the way of the cross leads home

So before I close off this poem
For the weary traveller I’ve got good news,
There’s a way with no fork in the road
It’s the way that you should choose.

It is the straight and narrow way
We should walk and keep looking up ahead
Trusting in our Faithful Guide
Assured that we are correctly led.

So that we have no such dilemmas 
Concerning forks appearing in the road
And our cross He helps us carry
For He has already lightened our load.

For it’s Jesus who walks with us
It’s God who holds our hand
It’s the Holy Spirit who shows the way
The Godhead directs our life plan

So if ever you come to a fork in the road
Take neither the left nor the right,
The pilgrim’s pathway is straight ahead!
We walk by faith and not by sight.

Stewart Russell © 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment