Wednesday, January 27, 2016

All You Own Is Now



Image result for images of all I have is now

Grasp this reality
Life’s unpredictability
Given our frailty
And death’s inevitability.

But I have time
There’s much I call mine
I have great health
To go along with my wealth.

Life is now a breeze
I can take my ease
I can securely rest
Free of tension and stress.

Then I heard a sound
So I looked around
No one could be found
None where I was bound.

An incessant knock
Eyes upon the clock
Time slowly ticked away
Could this be the day?

I had much stored up
Now this bitter cup
What a horrid joke!
A dream I had dared to hope.

I thought of all I had
Possessions were my fad
My dream as a little lad
Now had all turned bad.

Now my every thought
Focused on all I’d bought
All I had accumulate
Responsible for my state.

My belongings: no use
My accumulations: refuse
My memories now distant
And wealth: added lament.

Image result for images of time has run out
 
The knock was time to go
The clock said I told you so
Life now rearranged
Everything suddenly changed.

As for my inventory
Loads of useless money
Property no longer enjoyed
Reduced beneath all I employed.

Was at this very junction
I saw the real problem
I owned absolutely nothing
Zero, zilch, not a thing.

All I had was borrowed
Did not guarantee tomorrow
Couldn’t help in my sorrow
Admitted then in my horror.

Image result for images of all I have is now

All you own is now
Try to grab that now somehow
None of the cherished possessions
Will help in that great recession.

The clock hanging on the wall
Reminds us of that call
That comes to all of us
Then the end of all our fuss.

It’s then we realize
Not speculate or surmise
The hard facts of the matter
The emptiness and clatter.

“What’s the use?” I heard me say
At sunset on that final day
Of all I had achieved
Only to leave so very grieved.

Oh, I thought I possessed much
And lived in accordance with such
Only to find as I closed my eyes
Now is the moment before demise.

Learn the moral of this poem
Let not possessions be the problem
Earned today gone tomorrow
At most they’re only borrowed.

All you have is this moment
Please learn from my lament
All of this life is transient
Apart from now you don’t own a cent.


Stewart Russell © 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment