Sunday, February 15, 2015

Love Is


Image result for images of the love of God

What is love? I’ve heard many ask,
From whom does it come?
And to whom does it go?
Tell us, we really want to know.

I have heard some try to explain it,
They try to quantify and qualify
But always there’s something missing
And often leave you still guessing.

Some say it is a feeling you feel
Like having had a delicious meal,
Others attempt to prove it by talk
But never express it in their walk.

What is love?  Can no one show me?
I am desperate and I need to see
A demonstration of this phenomenon;
Can it be found in this earthly kingdom?

Check these examples hope they satisfy,
I will not attempt to quantify or qualify;
I’ll give them to you then you can decide
By which of them you’re willing to abide.

Love is a mother reaching out to a child
And wondering the source of its pain;
Knowing no sleep till she brings relief
And rids him of his discomfort and grief.

Image result for images of the love of a mother

Love is a father watching a child
As it makes its first unsteady steps;
Walking beside in case of a stumble
Helping to avoid a discouraging tumble.

Love is a brother or indeed a sister
Ready ever to defend that sibling
That encounters a stroke of misfortune
And seeks the other’s understanding.

Love is a friend who is like a brother
Though not born of the same mother;
Does what he can to comfort another
In the time of his trouble and bother.
  
Love is a fireman in a burning building
Refusing to leave it till he is sure
That all of the occupants are safely out
And only then he heads for the door.

Image result for images of a fireman in a burning building

Love is an artist who patiently paints
Aiming for that elusive master-piece
While anticipating that moment of joy
When the eyes of the world will have a feast.

Love is a teacher whose heart is troubled
By a single pupil who is unable to grasp
And with great empathy she finds a way
To bring him on par with the rest of the class.

Image result for images of a caring teacher

Love is a child who clings to a parent
Though a spanking has just occurred;
Love is a parent who hugs that child
And makes sure that love is not blurred.

Love is a kind and gracious person
Who offers help to someone in need;
Who asks and expects nothing in return
Regardless of status, ethnicity or creed.

Love is one man and one woman
Who stand before God declaring, “I do”;
And thereby forsaking all others
Cling to one another in love that’s true.

Image result for images of a bride and groom at the altar

But notice something of all the above,
Human love is limited in scope and depth
And no matter how hard we have tried
The greatest human need remained unmet.

Image result for images of the love of God
This need required the greatest love of all,
There’s only one on whom God could call;
His only begotten Son he did commission
To die for us was his sacrificial expression.

Image result for images of the love of God

God’s love looked down from on high
And saw a people he wanted to draw nigh;
A people he wanted for His very own
That He could nurture and set life’s tone.

The more He would reach out to them
The more they would spurn His love;
Till finally in the fullness of God’s time
Love came down from heaven above.

Love in human form met human kind,
Love left heaven’s glory, from it resigned
To journey to a cross to die for my sin
So that a crown of glory I could win.

Image result for images of the love of God

Leaving heaven’s glory to take my place,
Experiencing contempt and loss of face,
Reaching out to me in my disgrace,
His love for my hate, His amazing grace.

How can I quantify such wondrous love
Or in my finite mind attempt to qualify?
The least I can do, yea, the most I rephrase
Is surrender to Christ, my sufficient supply.

God’s Divine love pursued after my soul,
His amazing grace has made me whole.
Christ conquered Calvary removing my load,
What mercy, what grace, what love untold!

Image result for images of the love of God

Love is the Saviour who took my place,
Yes! Love is this sinner saved by grace,
Love is my Shepherd who is the Lamb,
I am that sheep saved by the great “I AM”.



Stewart Russell © 2015

1 comment: